We needed a solution quickly. I did an internet crash course on vent and duct work and picked the brains of the staff at Rona to get the information I needed to get the job done. I contacted our cabinet maker to determine that a 4 inch diameter flexible duct would fit under the cabinets. I purchased a register boot to fit the vent hole and divert the air towards the “kick” of the cabinet. I inserted the register boot then attached the flexible duct and cut it to length with a hack saw.
I then sealed around the boot and the flex-duct joint with metallic duct tape.
I had to order a 2 ½” x 10” white register with a round 4” inflow from an H & V supply store to fit on the cabinet kick. We picked up the register the morning that the cabinets were coming. I wasn’t sure if everything would come together in time; I didn’t want to hold up the cabinet installation as our cabinet maker was coming from Guelph, Ont. We put the register in the hole cut into the kick, attached it to the flex-duct, sealed it with tape then put the kick into place by compressing the flex pipe. It took a little finessing but was not too hard. The finished look is great.
Not bad for a rookie ductworker and Mia likes the heat blowing on her feet when she is cutting vegetables on the counter.